The current UK government wants to see more young people in this country, going down the STEAM route (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics), if Britain is to compete with countries such as China, India or Japan for a place in the global economy.
STEAM IS GOOD FOR BUSINESS! What else? Let me tell you that is also of great benefit to children of all ages.
- It helps children to think outside of the box. There is only one option in the box, why settle for that? Children are free thinkers. They do not need a bounded imagination, it has to be boundless.
- It teaches them about social responsibility, children have a role to play in bringing solutions to local and global problems. Children are indeed the future! Let them be part of the future now!
- Hands on learning. You do not learn how to drive in a classroom, in the same way, children can not assimilate learning solely from books, they need action, they need powerful hands on learning experiences.
- Academic performance. It is not only assessments and exams that show you how well your son is doing academically, consider STEAM. It allows children to use Maths,English & Science all at once, learning becomes wholesome as oppose to random. Children find a purpose for reading and doing calculus, there is no way around it.
- Leadership. Children can develop high skills and abilities while learning STEAM. It can spark high levels of curiosity and excitement that can see your child becoming an expert. Experts lead!
- Stepping stone towards Entrepreneurial-ship. What if your children was the next Steve Jobs? It is possible, if your child loves any of the areas within STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts,Mathematics) and also he or she is attracted to business, why not?
- Thinking BIG. Anything is possible when you think big, if your child wants to be an astronaut, you can be hundred per cent sure that he will achieve his goal, provided you create the right environment, and that is true for any other dream that he or she might have.
- Character building. STEAM requires patience, there is not quick pill potion that will solve the task, project or idea at hand. Many trials and errors will not make your child a looser but a winner.
- Children are in control of their own learning. When it comes to STEAM children work at their own pace, and the focus is not in the exam or assessment, the teachers are not pressurised to submit data; the success is in the journey, not the destination.
- Better and wider career prospects. Your child could be travelling the world with STEAM, he could start his own business, he could be multitalented. He would be hundred per cent employable!
I hope I have given you an insight as to why STEAM matters! It is not only a government issue, it is also yours.
By Rijole Bitata